Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Looking for Patterns in Multiplication Facts

I was thinking about other patterns that I could make students aware of when they are studying multiples of a certain number and I starting looking at the multiples of 5.
I have always pointed out that the products end with either a 5 or a 0.
As I looked closer I noticed :
  • that the numbers that end with 5 are the products of 5 and an odd number
  • that the numbers that end with 0 are the products of 5 and an even number

Giving students an opportunity to look at patterns of multiples of a particular number on a 100's chart can expand student's thinking.

When studing their multiplication tables have students color code the number chart for math factors and multiplication tables.

They can print a different chart out for each number set, or work off of one chart. For example, color all multiples of three the same color. Do students see a pattern? Then color all multiples of four a different color from multiples of three.

The students wouldn't have to print the chart, just write their reflections about what they noticed.

(Note: If students make a mistake while coloring their number pattern, they can select the white crayon to color the mistake and it will reset the square to a blank color.)

I'll have to add that to my Multiplication Strategy Flip Book.


Deborah Devine

2 comments :

  1. I have a New Year Resolution linky party & a survey on my blog that I would really love your feedback on. Please stop by and give me your opinion.

    Thanks!!!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use that interactive 100s chart in my classroom ALL the time! We don't print, just use it for skip counting to learn our facts and multiples! =)


    Meg
    Third Grade in the First State

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...