Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011



What a nice surprise!

Thanks to “Finding Joy in 6th Grade” for extending this award to me.  I especially enjoy this award because of the meaning of the word- versatile. I was also touched by her comment, “I am re-thinking teaching decimals thanks to this great site! Great math ideas abound!” 

Speaking of word meanings…Have you ever needed a kid friendly definition of a word, and struggled to create that definition? I was part of a team writing lessons to accompany Making Meaning lessons using alternative texts for our Multi-grade classrooms in our district, and I needed to create kid friendly definitions to define text vocabulary. A great online dictionary that helped me and   can help you too is called the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English online. 

How to use the LONGMAN DICTIONARY OF CONTEMPORARY ENGLISH ONLINE www.ldoceonline.com  
It is so easy to use

STEP 1 - Just type your word into the search box and click OK.

 For example: versatile

STEP 2 - That's it! The definition will appear in the window.

ver‧sa‧tile

1someone who is versatile has many different skills:

a very versatile performer

a more versatile workforce

2having many different uses:

The potato is an extremely versatile vegetable.

—versatility noun [uncountable]

*     Hegley's outstanding versatility as an all-round entertainer.
 Deborah, alias the "Versatile Math Gal"

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for the tip about the online dictionary! I've been using U-46's academic vocabulary list for the 1/2 split class and it's been working out wonderfully; I really appreciate that you shared that resource!

    Also, I'm on the committee to choose a new reading curriculum for 3rd/4th grade next year. I'm so glad you mentioned Making Meaning because it reminded me of how much I liked that program when I did my college clinical in U-46!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...