When I first saw the class book my first reaction was, “What a great way to engage students with authentic writing and the teacher will have a picture of some new ideas the students learned while studying concepts about electricity.” Let’s look closer at some of the book together…
R Batteries and electricity make a Radio play
Y When you see an electrical fire you Yell for help!
Z When you get Zapped from static electricity you yelp.
So................ it's cute, but could it be so much more?
What if you taught a series of lessons in reading group about paraphrasing, and then used that strategy in science when the class made their book all about electricity?
What if you named the book:
"Our Thoughts As We Learned About Electricity."
Individual pages could be titled:
- A list of the most important things we learned
- Words and their meaning that we want to remember
- Diagrams that explain ideas that we now understand
- Connection that we made while we learned about electricity
- Other questions that we still have about electricity
- Photos with captions that show us learning during our unit
- Experiments that helped us form new ideas
What do you think?