Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Subitizing

I just wanted you to know that I practice what I teach. We have a entering kindergartener in the house and I am beginning to work with her on subitizing numbers. 

 Subitizing means to instantly recognize a quantity without counting.
 These are the steps in my house to the second floor. I taped the number dots on the risers of the stairs.  As she walks upstairs, she says their value... 3,3,2,3,2 and so on.  I will change the cards to  larger number values as the posted numbers become too easy.  Since she will be in a Dual Language Class, next she will say the numbers in Spanish too.  In her class, math is taught in Spanish.

John Van de Walle discusses subitizing in his book, "Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics: Grades K-3."  You can print a copy of his blackline masters of the dot patterns that are smaller in size than shown in my photo. Just click here .

I always say-  break in down in learnable bits...
 with a spoonful of sugar.

Smiles,
Deborah

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...