Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Words Their Way: Within Words Sort 8

 I've been working with my 2 granddaughters on improving their spelling. I chose the Words Their Way Program because I wanted it to fit the needs of two different age groups with similar deficiencies in spelling skills.  

As an Instructional Coach for a large school district, I have been trained by Pearson Learning Group and have trained teachers how to use the program.  So I thought I would share some of the materials that I develop to go along with the sorts the girls and I will be doing together.  

We are on Sort 8 in the yellow book, Third Edition.  (Within Words)

This lesson focuses on "short and long i" vowel sounds.  I noticed that many of the long i words have the ending ice. So I began gathering a collection of words that ended "ice." 




These are the words that I decided to use to expand their knowledge of "ice" words.

This is the sheet that I used on Zoom. 

I shared this page on Zoom, and the girls took turns writing the first sounds on the line to make the new words that I was giving to them orally.




Believe it or not, they really liked learning the word- sacrifice, as they didn't believe they could actually spell it. They liked the challenge. 
Together we looked up the meaning of the word using the Longman Dictionary.
When I search for definitions, I add "Student Friendly" to the search.


sacrifice

From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary EnglishRelated topics: Religionsac‧ri‧fice1 /ˈsækrəfaɪs/ ●●○ noun    1 [countable, uncountable] when you decide not to have something valuable, in order to get something that is more important



If you would like a copy of my worksheets, Click on the Pages Above.  They are free to you.Please leave a comment if you decide to download the pages as your thank you.
Smiles,
Deborah Devine



No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...