Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Math Stations Coordinated with Everyday Math

Debbie Diller Says

"But remember that great stations are preceded by strong whole-group teaching (and then materials are moved to a math station for practice and reinforcement)."

That's why I looked at Chapters 3 and 4 from the book, "Math Stations" and the Teachers Lesson Guides from Grade 1 and 2 from Everyday Math before coming up with my plan for what my Math Station tubs would contain.

MY PLAN for Unit 1 for a Multigrade Class 1/2

Station
Differentiated Activities
Materials Needed
1
Literature Links
Reading and Creating:  
·           Counting Books 
                 1-10
·          11-20


Reading and Creating:
·         Counting Books-11-100,
·         Backwards from 20
·         Even and Odd Numbers
·         Comparing Numbers
Paper, a stapler, counters, blank five-frames, blank ten-frame
Ed Emberley's Great Thumbprint Drawing Book, ink pad, sample book using thumbprint s, Crayons, pencils,
Math Counting Books
(possible utilize writing station are that is  used during literacy stations)
2
Number Ordering and Comparing
Card sets:
I can order numbers.
1-10, 1-20, 11-20



Card sets:
I can order numbers.
11-30, 1-20 (by 2’s), 29-45, 1-100 by 5’s
Cards sets in individual baggies that are color coded with squares of colored duck tape
3
Pattern Block s and Pattern Block Template
·         I can draw shapes.
·         I can draw shapes with a pattern.
·         I can sort shapes by number of lines or corners.




·         I can draw shapes and write their names.
·         I can draw the shape my partner names.
·         I can create designs and then draw them on paper.
·         I can sort shapes using a Venn Diagram.
 Pattern blocks
4 Pattern Block Templates Plastic Grid
3
Everyday Math Games
Monster Squeeze
Bunny Hop

Number Line Squeeze

4
Number Lines
·         I can create a number line using number cards
·         I can place a counter on the number my partner names on the number line
·         I can walk and count on the BIG numberline forward and backward.

·         I can create a number line using numbers from 80 – 110.
·         I can find numbers on a number line from 100-120, 145-165, 320-345.
·         I can estimate and  find the number of hops between two numbers
·        
Number lines
Recording Sheet for estimating            the number of numbers between 2 numbers.
5
Numbers
·         1-10
·         1-20
·         Roll dice and record

·         5’s from 1-100
·         10’s from 1-100
·         10’s from 100-200
·         I can show a number with tally marks.
Number cards
www.mrswillskindergarten.com Summertime Number Concepts

Mathematics Blackline Masters Grade P to 9
6
Number Writing Practice
·         Writing numbers in salt
·         Playdough snakes number writing
·         Writing Paper Worksheets
·         Roll dice and record

Scrolls: Writing numbers in sequence to 1000 (EM Math Masters)
Laminated Number cards to use as a pattern for playdough snake numbers.
Salt in lidded containers.
7
Counting Up and Back
Counting pennies using a math talk card.
One more penny makes __ pennies.
One less penny makes __ pennies,

Provide a set of two digit number cards that end in 9.
One more than __ is __.
Two more than __ is __.
Ten less than __ is ___.

Pennies
Math talk cards
Two digit cards ending in 9
8
Ordering Numbers
·         Laminated dot to dot drawings

·         I can write number words.
·         I can roll 2 dice and say a number.
·         I can complete Teacher Created Math boxes.
·         I can fill in the missing numbers.
Laminated dot to dot with 2 and 3 digit numbers.
Dot to dot drawings
Dice
Teacher created math box sheets.
Sentence strip number sequences with missing numbers.
9
Tally Numbers
·         Choose a number card and write tallies for that number.
·         Have tally cards and then write number of tallies shown.

Same activity with larger numbers.
Number cards
Whiteboards
Tally cards
10
Calendar Works


·         Match words with number of days: day, week, month, year, date
Calendar Cards


3 comments :

  1. Dear Deborah,
    I love how you aligned this book to your program and the structure you created. I hope you share this with other teachers in your district who are not capable of this. You have a clear and well designed plan.
    Thank you for linking up with me and sharing this.
    Fran@kindergartencrayons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Fran,
    Thank you. My blog is so full of charts, and not full of activities. IT's my mathematical thinking that has to organize where I am going step by step. Everyday Math creates so much teacher stress to complete the book because of spiraling concept development. I WANT THEM TO FEEL FREE because it all works together. Be sure to send Everyday Math questions to me... I'll be happy to help

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also teach with Everyday Math 1st grade this is wonderful! Thanks for sharing.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...